Monday, October 6, 2008

520R - Journal # 1

In this short journal I would like to shed some light on Creativity different definitions and how can we combine between them. Also I am going to talk about interesting differences between the word Creativity and one of its widely used synonyms. 


Today, I have read a very interesting article about Creativity: Method or Magic?

The author, Stevan Harnad, has introduced his article asking about how can we define "creativity" ? can we just say that it is a cognitive trait or an occasional state ? or it is defined in different ways depending on different usages "creativity is as creativity does" ? 

So, those are the three main notions about creativity, and I hardly can say which one is right and which one is wrong.

Creativity can be a trait, because it is a statistical fact that some people exhibit it frequently. But it is also a state, because people sometimes get to be creative once in their lives, or they become creative in certain fields more than another. ٍSo, I would rather to say: both of them are correct.

There is another thing that I was thinking of regarding the word "creativity", I was always using it as a synonym for "Innovation". But when I was googling around for the word "creativity" I found an interesting information at Wikipedia about distinguishing between the two words "creativity" and "innovation". It says that "creativity" is the act of producing and generating newideas only, while "innovation" is wider and it covers generating new ideas and applying them too.

For example, Amabile et al. (1996) suggest that while innovation "begins with creative ideas,"

"...creativity by individuals and teams is a starting point for innovation; the first is a necessary but not sufficient condition for the second."

Other interesting difference between creativity and innovation the author thinks, so do I, that the word "creativity" is preferred in art contexts whereas "innovation" is preferred in business. And I have seen this true in the practical life, I have seen the word "innovation" was widely used in my working place and it is always about deliverables to clients and how to exceed their expectations. While I have always been reading about creativity in art books and topics.

Hopefully I have added something new to your information about Creativity. 

See you soon on my next blog.

Bassam

4 comments:

Eilidh said...

Bassam: I enjoyed reading your entry about the definition of the word 'creativity' and your opinions of those definitions. It certainly isn't a clear thing to define, but I think that is a good thing!
Be careful with your use of tenses- you sometimes use the present perfect, when the simple tenses are more appropriate. Also be careful ofsentence fragments- you have afew of them!
I look forward to rading your next blog entry!

Cha-cha (Chao Wang) said...

Hi Bassam, frist time see you in your blog.
Thanks for your clearification about the creativity and innovation. I am surly you find a lot of support to confirm your difinition.
Secondly,About creativity can be a trait or state. you list a good supporting details. It is funny that we tought about it in today's class. I agree with you the creativity is native skill since we are born. But need more practise to consummate it is the thing we still need to do.Just like you said "because it is a statistical fact that some people exhibit it frequently especially in certain fields more than another. "

JI MIN said...

It is interseting for me to define difference of creativity and innovation.
I surfed the web, and I found very short definition of them.

'creativity refers to idea generation, whereas innovation refers to idea implementation'

Anyway,
your journal is simple but really clear. I'm impressed!^^

Yiqing said...

WoW, Bassam, you really teach me how to seperate "creativity" and "innovation".

Before reading your journal, I thought creativity was the same meaning as innovation and I used them in the same condition. But now, I think I made a mistake. Creativity is refering to art contexts, and innovation prefers to business. It is an easy way for me to remember them^_^....

One more sentence, in the essential level, creativity and innovation have no difference. They both work out new things .