The first thing that jumped into my mind about chimpanzees is the announcement that I have read on last Thursday morning in The Vancouver Sun; it was about a lecture in Vancouver's Centre for the Performing Arts, titled: Reason for Hope, presented by Dr. Jane Goodall. Dr. Goodall is an English UN Messenger of Peace, and she is well-known for her 47-year study of chimpanzee social and family interaction. Her study was held in the heart of Africa, specifically in Tanzania. In 1977 she sat up the Jane Goodall Institute To Careful Endangered Chimps. This organization have offices around 23 countries, one of them is Canada ( http://www.janegoodall.ca ).
Dr. Jane Goodall at The Centre for the Performing Art, Vancouver (Oct. 30, 2008)
Honestly, I didn't know that chimpanzees are endangered until I get to know more about Dr. Goodall and what she is doing and what she has done through all these years to spread awareness of chimpanzee extinction. I was shocked when I knew that chimpanzees might become extinct in 30 to 50 years only! Furthermore, there are only 400,000 great apes left in the world today comparing to 2,000,000 were there in the 1950's.

For more inforamation about Dr. Goodall's mission, check out this interview on CBC The Hour show:
2 comments:
Hi Bassam. Again, thank to your
great~ topic. I do know Jane
Goodall. Actually, I have a few
books of her. She has been stud-
ying about apes, but also about
food that we ingest everyday. One
of her books title is "Harvest for hope : a guide to mindful eating .
I really like this book because
this book helps to understand
what we should eat and how should
we consider about our food and
lives. Also, ultimately,
how can we change this unbalanced
world by changing our eating
habits. Hope you get a chance to
read this great book!
Cheers~!
I enjoyed your post Bassam, and the beautiful illustrations. I admire Dr. Goodall very much, not only for her championing of human rights, but becasue of her intelligent campaign for all of us to be aware of the effects of our behaviour on the planet and on each other. Thanks for the reminder of what an intersting woman she is - an inspiration!
Post a Comment